Saturday, December 30, 2006

Hail to the Chief

I have to be honest. I never really thought about Gerald Ford or considered his Presidency very much. I was nine or ten when he became President. I was actually rather more political than other kids my age. I remember I sent a letter to the White House complaining about the treatment of the American Indians. And, I sent a letter to Richard Nixon supporting his Presidency. Obviously I didn't understand enough about the situation because now I am appalled by what happened in that era, and by what is happening today.


Now, however, that Ford has died, I've learned about what he accomplished without a lot of fanfare and without a lot of self-promotion. Many people underestimated him and disagreed with his choice of pardoning Nixon. "But time has a way of clarifying past events, and now we see that President Ford was right," Sen. Edward Kennedy said. "His courage and dedication to our country made it possible for us to begin the process of healing and put the tragedy of Watergate behind us."

Ford went out of his way to promote openness and trustworthiness of the American government. Nixon had created a web of secrecy and corruption within his administration. Robert Gates, the new Secretary of State, described the Nixon years in part as "a time of secret deals and public obfuscation (and deception)". I wonder if he will remember those times as he begins his work in the Bush administration.

William Rogers, former attorney general and former secretary of state said "the public should view excessive secrecy among government officials as parents view sudden quiet where youngsters are playing. It's a sign of trouble."

I've recently started reading a book by John W. Dean called "Worse than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush." I'm about a third of the way through the book and I am confused as to how we have allowed this secrecy, this loss of civil liberties to re-occur without fighting for our history, for our way of life. We have allowed ourselves to fall prey to the fear-mongering. We've accepted blindly the outright lies that have been told to us and we haven't dug deep enough to find the truth. Even the media seems to accept the bullying and the refusal to give information.

The first 40 years of George Bush's life are difficult to find out about. He has walked into the White House with less scrutiny than any other President of the United States; from what Dean describes, he would not be able to pass a White House security clearance check if he was applying for a job at the White House. His business experiences have been failures covered up because of his father's reputation and it is clearly evident that both he and Cheney have violated more insider trading laws than Martha Stewart. They have not gone to prison, however, but instead are defining our future. Cheney has openly lied about Halliburton dealings with countries facing American sanctions and his financial arrangements with Halliburton appear very questionable.
Taking a quote from Dean's book:
"In 1987, the late Justice William J Brennan Jr. (an Eisenhower appointee) lamented about the predictable nature of his country during war, noting, 'After each perceived security crisis ended, the United States has remorsefully realized that the abbrogation of civil liberties was unnecessary. But it has proven unable to prevent itself from repeating the error when the next crisis came along.'"
Since 9/11, Bush and Cheney have done much to fan the flame of public fear. But what have they done to make America safer? In the days and weeks following 9/11, we had overwhelming support from the rest of the world. We've since alienated many of those countries and caused more turmoil in the Middle East. Our civil liberties are being eroded quickly, more so than we probably realize. The terrorists are winning: We have become less democratic. Our government has discredited itself and lost its claim to the high moral standards of liberty we used to stand for. We have sold our environment, our energy policies and our public health policies to the highest bidder, whoever contributes the most to the political campaigns.
I wonder how things will change in January.

9 comments:

colleen m said...

Great choice of reading material!! There is less freedom now then in the McCarthey era. Yet most are sheep and just go along.

Fleur de Bee said...

Great reading material, as you know I am very conservative and I never get into politics or discuss them unless it is in person as to defend my views. My family had always been in politics in one form or another so it is interesting to read about ones views vs. anothers and especially when you truly respect them, however do not agree!

Great read!
Happy New Year!

xx-Molly

Fleur de Bee said...

hahah just read over that (I never proof read lol) and I hope you know I meant that I respect you tons! That was my point. I don't really even dissagree, just making a point LOL. Theres a giggle for ya.

Cathy with a C said...

Hi, Ballerinagurl

I've missed you. Hope all is well and that you will have a great 2007!

Cathy

Chris Capp said...

Hi Cathy (with a C!),

I hope you had a great Christmas. Sounds like a memorable trip to Pittsburgh last weekend for the kids! I am happy to see Gerald Ford getting a "second look" by the country these days. He was a decent man when decency was in short supply [still is, it seems, as your post shows].

In the face of difficult times and a fractured world, I hope 2007 brings you health and happiness!

Peace,
Chris

Ahvarahn said...

Cathy - I havve been away from the wire and glass for a few days and it looks like I have some catching up to do with your blog. Before I do, I just wanted to give a quick shout out to happiness always being your pal in 2007.

all the best,
Paul.

Metalchick said...

Happy New Year Cathy!
I'll have to check out that book! One of my resolutions is to read books again.
I voted for bush in 2000 because I listened to my parents at that time. After 9/11 had happened, I have to admit that Bush looked so heroic standing on top of the rubble with the bullhorn. But then when he introduced the Patriot Act, that's when my eyes were opened. I realized that my parents views were not really in my heart. I started paying attention more carefully and I know where I stand now. I'm not a democrat or a republican, I'm an independent.

Ballerinagurl,
I also don't like to discuss politics, especially when I get slammed. People forget what the word tolerance means, which they think means "To accept or agree."

Anyways, good post!

Space Cowboy said...

Nice post, Cathy. I think the biggest problem is that we, collectively, have gotten used to quick buzzwords and talking points and accept our mainstream media as news, as opposed to what it really is: entertainment. No one has the time, or in some cases even the knowledge, to dig deeper for the real stories going on in this world. Luckily, the blogosphere has started to change how things work here.

Bonfire Jones said...

Hi Cathy! Happy new year to you also! Please wish Laurie BZ a Happy new year also. She has a 'privatized' blog & I couldn't leave a comment.

It was also nice seeing you both at Joes Pub back in September.

Laurie hasn't changed a bit! I'm very glad to see she is doing well & happy in her life. She was always one of the nicest people I knew back in high-school.

Please visit my blog whenever you wish! You are always welcome.

Best Regards, ED

P.S. Fantastic post also! Very well written & I agree with everything you said. Kudos...