Saturday, December 02, 2006

Almost as good as chocolate?

Saw my fourth Who show in Hershey, PA, not far from my home. Had the pleasure of spending the night with two young Who fans, Emma and Laura. While only 10 and 11, they've gone to more concerts I think than I have! We alternated watching the show from box seats and down in the stands. Again, we got to say hello to Pete before he went on stage. Little did he know that he had to walk the gauntlet before making his way to stage.

Once again, the band was great. I think my earlier impression of the Who was due to the fact that it was the beginning of their tour. I had always enjoyed their music but found my first concert to be somewhat ho-hum in terms of the band's apparent excitement and enjoyment about being on stage. They have found that excitement now.

Watching from the box seats was not as good as being in the stands. I found that as well with baseball games. It just does not feel like going to a concert or a ballgame, when you are sitting in comfortable, spacious chairs with a refrigerator and chafing dishes full of food behind you. Not that I'm complaining about having the opportunity to sit in the box, but it was not a true concert atmosphere there. No one standing and dancing (or moving) to the music. No one pushing up against you. No excited chatter about the band or the songs.

It was still a great night!

No comments: