Sunday, February 25, 2007

Acts of Kindness

Busy day yesterday and things did not quite work out as I had planned. Isn't that how it usually goes?

I started the morning with my son's play-off basketball game. It did not go well. His team was keeping even with the other team, but the refs seemed to be playing for the other team. No fouls, even blatent fouls, by the other team were called. One of our coaches got yelled at by the other league's coordinator and one of our spectators was told to leave the gym. Testosterone was flowing in full force, but all calmed down. We lost, but our boys felt they had played well and they had played honestly.

After the game, I had told my son that before his friends could come over, I needed to do some errands. I dropped him off at the house quick so I could make one stop. As I was coming back, I saw one of his friends going into the house. That's not allowed for starters - having friends over when I'm not home. As soon as I got inside, he had arranged for another friend to come over. "But, Mom, I didn't know that's what you said that I had to wait until later..."

My daughter then arrived home and was able to watch the boys for me. My house is usually full of 11-year old boys on the weekends. I generally don't mind since I work too many hours during the week to host them here then. I ran out to start my errands. Shortly there after I got a phone call from home saying I needed to come back home. My son had a 3-inch splinter in his hand. I thought my daughter was exaggerating, but no, it was a 3" splinter - biggest splinter I had ever seen. I should have taken a picture of it. I could not get it out and I knew even if I got part of it out, that part would still be left in his hand.

Act of Kindness:
I called my doctor but he was not on call. He had a referring doctor covering his calls. I was picturing about 5 hours sitting in the ER waiting to be seen. But, this doctor opened her office for me to bring him in. She was so nice and helpful. My son was worried about how they were going to take this chunk of wood out of his hand, but she made it very easy for him. Still took about 3 hours, all said and done, since I had to take his friends home and drive 30 minutes to her office.

Act of Kindness:
After he got home, he went off to show his war wound to his friends. I went outside to try and chip ice off one of my sidewalks. I was not making much headway when my neighbor came out and offered me the use of an ice chipper. I had been using a flat metal shovel. His tool made things much easier even though I did not get it all off. I did make a path at least for people to get through. I have blisters on my hands though!

Act of Kindness:
I've been exchanging emails with two fellow Who fan/bloggers about the SXSW festival. One who lives in Austin has offered Colleen and I so much hospitality and advance information, it is overwhelming! Both have gone out of their way to give us inside information and to help us prepare for what is going to be an awesome time in Austin. We are so looking forward to it. Susan has offered us help with parking, to show us the city and to introduce us to some historical music figures in Austin. The best way to see a city is with someone who lives there! We have never met and she has gone out of her way to help us out.



It's snowing again. I was out on the deck with my dog Britney watching the heavy snow thinking about all the acts of kindness I've seen or been part of in the last few days. Bloggers holding vigil for Hotel Cafe tickets even if there was no chance of their attendance - they were looking out for each other. Neighbors helping each other. A sister looking out for her younger brother, comforting him and calming him and his friends down. A doctor opening her office on a beautiful Saturday afternoon so I didn't have to go to an emergency room. Coaches who spend their free time teaching young boys and girls the art of sportsmenship. My son who went out willingly and tried to shovel some of the ice off the sidewalk. Too many more to talk about here. We all make a difference in each other's lives.

5 comments:

Ahvarahn said...

Fantastic post; an inspiring collection of vignettes. Deserving the kudos is the eye that saw it the way it is presented.

Nabonidus said...

Aw, beautiful. Beautiful post.
Praying for people is an act of kindness too, you know. ;)
Thanks. xoxoLisa

Anonymous said...

Cathy,

My email is:

rockjf@aol.com
OR
infowebsitejfs@aol.com

Hope that helps! Sorry I won't make it to SXSW. My connections failed and just too much going on that week.

Sully

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

Hey Cathy!

Thanks for popping by the blog. I like yours. I think I have to start what i intended to do with this stuff and start actually writing something. You know life story type stuff. It appears Mr. Townshend is doing excerpts from his bio on his blog. i just don't know how much i am willing to put up there. Not because I am worried about what people would think but what people could do with the info.

anyway...

Sounds like you had a great week splinters and all. Must be glad it's over.

Cute dog...Retriever?