Saturday, March 03, 2007

Breakfast, Anyone?

Last night, I took my son and five of his friends to our church for Open Gym Night. He won the prize for bringing the most friends. We are trying to grow our Youth Group back up to where it used to be in the past. (Another story sometime is how our church imploded on itself a few years back and we lost half our membership and our pastors in a theological split.)

Anyway, the kids had a great time playing basketball, eating snacks and listening to Christian rock. Don't think they paid much attention to the music, but our eventual plans are to have some praise worship mixed in with the Open Gym.

Two of his five friends slept over and this morning, very early for them since they were up all night, I dragged them out of their sleeping bags to go serve breakfast to the homeless. His two friends had not gone before and I learned afterwards by listening to their comments, they had been worried about going. Luckily my kids and their friends do not censor their comments (well, I'm sure they do), but they seem to talk about everything in front of me and I can learn a lot by quietly listening to their conversations.

We ran by McDonalds for a quick breakfast before heading to the church we serve breakfast at, not our church, but a downtown church. The boys set up the tables and put supplies out while the adults cooked sausage, pancakes and scrambled eggs. We scrambled 36 dozen eggs and cooked over 500 sausage links and everything was set up and ready to start serving in 45 minutes. The line for breakfast starts forming by 8:00 am and we have the doors open by 9:00, but we open early if we are ready.

The boys rotated between three stations: handing out trays to the people as they entered the serving line; serving orange juice; and serving sausage. I had pancake duty.

People are so appreciative and thankful for the breakfast. Not all are homeless, but most seem to be. Others, I think, are trying to stretch their grocery dollars. There are some children present, but the majority are adults and of the adults, most are male. A few have obvious handicaps, but most seem able-bodied. They wait patiently in line for breakfast, sit at crowded tables we have set up in a small all-purpose room in the basement of the church, and eat in a slightly smoky haze that develops from the kitchen's inadequate ventilation system. Many of them return for seconds and even thirds. One told me this morning that he hadn't eaten for quite a while and was very happy to get breakfast that morning.

Ages seem to range from late teens/early 20's to older people in their 60s. All smile while in line and thank us profusely for their food and for our service. One little boy, who was probably my son's age, came up for his third serving. He spoke very quietly, so quietly, I had to lean over close to hear him and even then it was difficult.

'My' boys, as we left the church, spoke about how amazed they were at how nice the homeless were to them. I think they had been expecting strange scarey people who would be far different than themselves. They had lots of questions for me afterwards about how you eat when you are homeless? how do you sleep? where do you stay? how do you keep warm?

They had fun and felt useful at the same time. I think it was a good learning experience for them and for me even though I've done it before.

15 comments:

Bryan said...

Good for you. It's good to make sure your kids know about this stuff too as it will make them much more appreciative of what they have.

The Real Me thing is inspired by pete who is also blooging some of his autobiography. I think I just need to piece the puzzle together. I just posted the first slot of text and wish I could do more but my shift relief is about to show and I have to pack up the laptop and head home.

Check it out..

It's gonna be quite the story.

rachel fuller said...

hey cathy! how are yu?
can you tell me who it was who bought 25 tickets? i'll be discreet.
rachel@eelpie.com

rach xx

Bryan said...

Thanks for adding me to your links...

Gary said...

Hey Cathy, sorry you couldn't be at Hotel Cafe. I really hope that Rachel and Pete make DVD's of the show available or loop it so everyone can see and experience it.

I missed Chris at the show. We were wedged near left wall, but had an excellent view, learning from our experience in November on right wall.

You are going to have a blast in SXSW. Stephani are probably going to go to that one of these years because we love great music and great food and Austin is known for both.

:-)

PDBT said...

Hi cathy...
cool that Rachel contacted you about the scalper...
I just came on to say thanks for the post about my flood damage. 'Twas nice of you and I forgot to say thanks yesterday.
I am slowly recovering from it and have spent three full days in the basement cleaning up, disinfecting, tossing things out and buying new appliances, UGH.

PLEASE be sure to tell me the details of SXSW and I hope you and Colleen get in to the gig.

'Twas fun having lunch with you on Presidents Day...

-Lin

grace said...

Homeless aren't scary, just misguided, not mentally able to adjust to life sometimes. And when times like your boys spent a few hours with them realized they are just people struggling with life; as my Mom used to say, just a person trying to get by. Give them a chance.
xx

Ahvarahn said...

That is a great experience you gave those boys, and I think you carried it out quite delicately, considering you overheard their concerns. Very valuable.

But I have to run this morning, all your breakfast talk has me imagining the smell of fresh pancakes and maple syrup. I'm hungry.

take care,
Paul

Chris Capp said...

Cathy with a C,

Greetings from LA! What a great experience for those kids. When we have such comfort and abundance, it is easy to imagine everyone does. It's such an important lesson to learn to appreciate -- makes life so much more enjoyable, too. And if their interactions with the people at breakfast destroyed some preconceived notions about "the other," then that's really fantastic. "There but for the grace of God go I," right?

I was able to find Colleen after the Hotel Cafe and finally meet her in person. Sorry you weren't there, too, but I understand it's quite a trip. Just a 10 minute drive home for me!

It was, of course, a great show, although more subdued than the November gig. Rachel sang her "Sir Walter Raleigh" song, which I thought was magnificent. Pete was a marvel, but not chatty at all this time. Apparently he broke a fingernail at the Who gig in San Diego and was in pain. He's a trooper, though.

Glad to hear the scalping thing is out in the open. I had my own little interaction with him when trying to find a taker on my available ticket at the last minute, but it seems like Rachel is done talking about it, so no need to pile on.

Hope all's well by you, and I hope spring springs soon back east!

- Chris

Cathy with a C said...

Hey Bryan, Gary, Lin, Grace, Ahvarahn, and Chris

Thanks for stopping by. I think it is important for my kids to do some community service and give back to others. They have it too easy at times and should know what it is like for people not as lucky as them.

Lin - I was so sorry to hear about all the photos you lost. I've been in floods myself - over 3 ft of water in our basement in Hurricane Agnes and I have very close family friends who were rescued from their second floor window in Wilkes-Barre during the same flood. In some ways, fire seems easier. Everything is still destroyed, but it seems easier to clean up and move on.

Sorry I couldn't make the LA show but I am so looking forward to Austin!

Cathy xox

Bryan said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog and your support.

boogaloo dude said...

Hi Cathy, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I haven't read this post because I'm late to shovel the snow outside and get Emile to school, but I wanted to wish you a great time at South By Southwest. I've wanted to go there for several years and have never made it.
Love, Elizabeth Solaka

Ahvarahn said...

and I have my eye on that ticker on your site. it seems such a long time, but time flies really, soesn't it?

Ahvarahn said...

that would be 'doesn't it'

take care,
Paul

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi there

It's really a crying shame that there are homeless people in the wealthy western countries :-( I am happy, though, that there are at least organisations that do work to help. You are doing really good work.

Maria

Nabonidus said...

This was great, really put me there in the moment. :)
I love reading about families, I think I like to feel like I'm a part of the goings on while I'm reading.

I tell ya, that church story really sounds like it's something! That's the kind of thing you actually wind up hearing about on Dateline or something! lol Although I hope it wasn't anything so scandalous or serious. xoxoLisa :)