Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Sun Has Finally Come Out

It's a beautiful day outside for a change. Yesterday was cool, overcast and intermittently rainy. Today is sunny, blue skies and very warm. Just came back from a brisk hour-long walk. My daughter is out playing soccer at a tournament and my son is out at the park with his girlfriend and other friends. Sitting here, I can hear the neighborhood children out playing and birds chirping.

Tuesday, I had to spend the day at SAP Headquarters in Newtown Square. With ok traffic, it is about an hour and a half from me. Unfortunately, there is seldom ok traffic in the morning - it is usually bumper to bumper for a fair number of miles adding on about a half hour. That day I left early and was making good time.

I wanted to stop at a convenience store and grab a soda, but kept passing stores instead of stopping. A few times I thought about turning around since most of the stores available to me were on the left hand side of the road. But I kept going and telling myself I would stop at the next one. This repeated several times, and then I stopped at a small store about 8 miles outside of Newtown Square. I thought to myself, why bother stopping now? They'll have coffee and drinks at the meeting. But I pulled into the parking lot and parked. As I got out of my car, a young man came up to me and said, "I've never done this before and I'm really embarassed, but could I ask you for $2 for gas so I can get to Newtown Square where I live? If you don't believe I need it for gas, you could go into the store with me and watch me pay for it or you could pay the store yourself." He looked like he was about 19.

I gave him the money and he thanked me. I followed him into the store and went to the cooler to get a soda. He met a guy he apparently hadn't seen for a few years at the counter. He told the guy that he was working at UPS and had just gotten his first paycheck that day, said he was living with his mom and dad since he came back from Iraq. While talking to his friend, he paid for his gas, thanked me again and went outside. When I heard he just came back from Iraq, I wanted to offer to fill his tank, but I didn't. He didn't mention to his friend that he had to bum money off me and I didn't want to embarass him. Guess I could have offered to do it and say it was a thank-you for being in Iraq but didn't think fast enough on my feet. When I got outside, he was gone.

Thursday night, I had a date after work. He was supposed to pick me up at 7:30 which would give me just enough time to get home, feed the kids and get ready. When I got to my car at the carpool dropoff point, I saw my tire was low. I headed back down the road to a Turkey Hill to put air in it. I tried putting air in it, but it seemed as if it was getting flatter rather than filling up. In principle, I know how to change a tire, but I've never done it in real life. So, since it was raining, I was dressed up, and I've paid for AAA for four years and never used it, I decided it was time to place that call. I called AAA and arranged for someone to come out to change my tire. I called my date and told him I would be late. Sweet guy that he is, he offered to come change it for me. It would have taken him a half hour to get to me so I just told him AAA was on their way. The tow truck driver came out within 45 minutes and changed my tire in less than five minutes. I had a nail in my tire. While he was there, a woman came up to me and asked if he was AAA. She said that her car broke down there earlier today but AAA refused to send someone out because she didn't know her exact location. That was a little surprising to me since we were at an intersection and it was easy to see the road signs. She had left her car there and gone home, coming back that night to call AAA a second time. Wonderfully for her, he was already there helping me and could tow her car for her.

I had a debate with someone a few weeks ago about my belief that things happen for a reason. He disagreed with me saying that life was chance or self-determination, that things didn't happen for a reason. That just because you think it was better that you went down one path instead of another, you really don't know because you didn't take that other path.

I could have very easily driven home on the low tire - I'd been putting air in it for a week and probably shouldn't have been driving on it as long as I did. It was unusual that I went to that side of the car to put my bags into the car - I usually go in the driver's side. My deciding to take care of the tire situation that day helped that woman out in taking care of her own car situation. When meeting that soldier who needed help, I passed many stores on my way and for one reason or another didn't stop until that particular store. Would he have asked his friend for money? I'm not sure - he didn't ask him for money to repay me - I think he was too embarassed.

I'm glad he came back home from Iraq apparently whole, at least physically.

8 comments:

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi there Cathy

Yep, I tend to agree with that person you had the argument with. I'm not a great believer in determination. Things DO happen for a reason - causes and results - but I don't believe there is a "plan" according to which everything that happens to you happens.

Maria

E.L. Wisty said...

P.S. The sun! I am so loving it: with the spring the days are getting longer and longer (right now the sun rises at 7 am and sets at 8 pm), and there is so much sun...

colleen m said...

Everytime you say my son and his girlfriend -- it freaks me just a little. lol

Ahvarahn said...

Great story. Intersecting causes and effects. You were lucky with the AAA guy too; last time I used them, it took two hours for them to come out, and I was close to Boston where you would think they would have easy access to.

Paul

Metalchick said...

Hi Cathy,
I'm so glad the weather is getting warmer, although today was a windy day!

That is amazing how things do happen for a reason, I believe it!

Bryan said...

Everything happens for a reason. I can attest to that. Everything is connected in one way or another. I went through a nasty breakup a year and a half ago. Walked away from a thrirteen year relationship and a business I built from the ground up. The exact day I moved into my new flat I was standing and leaning on all these boxes after the moving men had left. Knowing I would be ok I was still uncertain how I was going to make it financially when my phone rang. The next day I had a full time job and I haven't looked back since.

IT ALL HAPPENS FOR A REASON!

You may not know what it is at the moment it's happening but when you look back you can see a path and connection to events in your life.

Nabonidus said...

I have to believe that it all happens for a reason. I do believe in these sorts of events happening for reasons that we do not see at the time.

Well even look at the way I happened to come across Pete's blog a couple years ago! I'd been a blogger for awhile, before P and R, you can see from my dates at my blog. And I happened to click on an interesting sounding blog, and to my shock, it was Pete! And I really didn't know anything about his blog beforehand!
Isn't that something? I've always admitted that I had stumbled into the room, so to speak.
But it was odd because I had gone to see the Who in the 80's, knew some things that average people didn't know (such as Bargain being about trying to find God).Loved the Who and Pete.
So it was really something to meet all of you the way I did!
I do believe this stuff happens for a reason. :)
And this is a great example for me
when I think of this subject.
And Cathy, that soldier story was just lovely. :)

Nabonidus said...

Oops, I came back to add:
I think there may be hope for me yet in the faith department, after all. ;)