Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Basketball Game by Text Messaging

Jason had a tournament game tonight. The weather was rather iffy today - first it snowed, then it rained, then it hailed and then it got very foggy. The game was over in the next county, about 50 minutes away. My mom and her husband were going to go to the game but decided not to because of the weather. My daughter also didn't go. We were late to the game due to the weather and rush hour traffic. We got there before the game started, but Jason was so upset in the car because he wasn't going to have time to warm up and he didn't want to play anymore anyway, blah, blah, blah...

So I kept my mom and daughter in the loop by texting.

6:22 pm (me) CMS 12-10 /*CMS is his team*/
6:25 pm (Mom) Good is Jason playing
6:26 pm (me) Yes, he just got in, they're only up by 1 pt
6:27 pm (Mom) Good
6:28 pm (me) Jason just scored
6:28 pm (daughter) Cool
6:29 pm (Mom) Yea
6:30 pm (me) They're up by 8
6:30 pm (daughter) Okay I dont need every update :)
6:31 pm (me to daughter) Should've come
6:31 pm (Mom) Great
6:34 pm (me) Scored again, end of first half, up by 7
6:35 pm (Mom) Thank you
6:36 pm (me to Mom) Other team has 2 tall boys; rest are tiny
6:47 pm (daughter) Sry
6:48 pm (me) Almost 3Q, up by 7, he hasn't been back in yet
6:49 pm (daughter) that's why I didnt go. He never plays when I go
6:52 pm (me) Beginning of 4Q, he's going back in
6:55 pm (Mom) Good how is Ty playing
6:55 pm (me to Mom) Ok, he's alternating the two of them it seems
6:56 pm (me) Tie game
6:57 pm (me) Jason just broke the tie with a 3 ptr
6:57 pm (daughter) Nice
6:57 pm (Mom) Wow
7:02 pm (me) Was tied again, Ty broke it and got an add'l foul pt. Ty just got fouled again,
we're up 3
7:03 pm (me to Mom) Ty and J are in together
7:05 pm (me) Jason was fouled; got 1 of 2
7:06 pm (Mom) Score
7:08 pm (me) Tie game, 17 secs to go
7:09 pm (Mom) Wow
7:11 pm (me) 2.7 sec, we're down by 2
7:16 pm (me) Lost by 2
7:17 pm (Mom) Bummer
7:19 pm (daughter) That sucks


Should explain that in the beginning of the season, while his father and I, and several other parents thought Jason played extremely well, the coach didn't put him in for more than 5 minutes a game. As the season went on, he got more playing time and in this game, he played half of the game, the 2 and 4th quarters. The other night I was late in picking him up for practice and it was just him and the coach hanging out for a few minutes. I spoke to the coach and told him how much Jason liked the game and he told me how much he had improved over the season. We talked about possible summer camps for basketball and then I got in the car where Jason was waiting. I said something about what the coach had said and he snorted and said, yeah, he told me I was getting to be almost as good as Ty. Shows how badly he thought of me. I said, well, there must be something that Ty is doing that the coach likes and maybe you can learn from him. (That comment didn't go over well.) In today's game, he alternated Ty and Jason except for the last few minutes where they played together.

It was a nailbiter at the end of the game, but well-played by both teams. We fouled too much and that's why they lost the game.

2 comments:

grace said...

funny thing about texting. I did a clients hair at her home last weekend, and she has a teenage daughter, and it takes me a few hours to perm her hair, (very long think hair) so we watched a couple of movies during, and the daughter texted the entire time, literally about every minute or two. I was blown away.

Chris Capp said...

Hi Cathy,

So sorry I missed you! I have been a bad blogger in recent weeks and haven't really kept up. As it turns out, this week was insane anyway, but it would have been nice to touch base. I hope you had a good trip.

And I hope your son continues to get more playing time! I used to love basketball but was TERRIBLE! Much better at baseball.

Hope you're well and return home safely.

- Chris