Monday, January 19, 2009

Time For A Change

Tomorrow, my countdown to the inauguration goes to zero!! I started it a few years ago, counting down to the time that GW would be out of office. Watched DL Hughley the other night. He said he was trying very hard to say something positive and honest about GW on the final show before his farewell. What did he say? Something, like "George W Bush, you are our 43rd President...."

I am afraid of Obama's election. Not that I think he is a bad man or a bad choice. It's just that so many people are counting on him, depending on him, and worshipping him. It makes me feel uneasy. I am praying that he stays safe and that he can fulfill half of what we are asking him to be and do.

My daughter said to me a few months ago, "Why is everyone talking about this being such a big deal? Why wouldn't a black man be President? I don't understand, why is it such a big deal?"

Yesterday, in a church Sunday school, an adult said "Why are they calling him the first African-American President? He's not black. He's a half-breed."

Both statements make me want to cry. The first, because we are moving toward a world that is racially-mixed and more color-blind. The second, because we still have so far to go. (I could agree with the sentiment that he is not 100% black; he is multi-racial. But how many of us are 100% of one race? even if we think we are...)

But 2009 is a year of change for me. I am determined this year to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I may need my current job until my son graduates high school. But what do I want to be when my children aren't relying on me for support anymore? A better description would be, not when I grow up, what do I want to be when I don't have to be a grown-up anymore?

1 comment:

grace said...

It is a bit scary as you mention Cathy, because the country as a whole are putting so much on Obama's shoulders to hurry up and change and make it better. So I am hopeful, that things will change for the better. It is true, good question by your daughter, I look at Obama as a man who is our president. Yes it is historic for other reasons, but what ever or who ever you are, just do a good job! ooh, half breed, eesh. scary statement.

I wish you a fantastic 2009, and to do whatever you like that makes you happy. :)