Saturday, December 06, 2008

Why are we so cruel?

My son told me Wed after school that a boy in his school had died. The boy killed himself because he was being bullied in school. My son told me about two incidents: He said that he was knocked down in the hallway and kicked by other kids in school. A girl told him that he should go away and just kill himself. There was more, I'm sure. My son didn't know him well. He is very upset about what the other kids did. I asked him if the boy told anyone about what was going on. He said no, but that the teachers knew about it and some of them tried to stop it.

3 comments:

Chris Capp said...

Hi Cathy,

Kids can be unspeakably cruel to each other, especially during that horrible adolescent period when everybody feels inferior. As long as there's someone worse off, more weird, less accepted, then it's somehow better for the others. But the consequences can be very serious. So sorry your son had to experience this. He already sounds like he's more compassionate than most, though. And that's not surprising, considering where he comes from.

Here's to a world where all kids feel welcome and included. That's my Christmas wish.

Hope you're well otherwise.

Cheers from L.A.,
Chris

grace said...

I don;'t know Cathy. Kids are awful. I have never been able to figure it out. I have had my experiences and i just don;t think it will ever change, sounds terrible, but for some reason, that age has some sort of weird pecking order. But it never works well. Sorry you son went and is going through this. seems times are even crazier these days.


share the same sentiments as Chris as a christmas wish.

xox

grace said...

Happy 2009 Cathy! Wish you a great one. :)