Thursday, May 08, 2008

Can't Get No Recognition

I saw Eric Clapton last Tuesday at a private corporate concert. It was an awesome show that got better as the night went on. He played for two hours without hardly any break between songs - the band transitioned from one song to another seamlessly.

Chris Stainton on the keyboards was exceptional and the band provided him many solo opportunities, as they did Doyle Bramhall II on guitar. He didn't play many of his classics until the end. The crowd was so involved when he played the song "Cocaine" - Clapton actually laughed at the first refrain of Cocaine as the audience just screamed along with him.

I was only disappointed in that they gave no attention to Pino Palladino - I don't think he even introduced him, although he introduced the other band members as they did solos. I had heard Pino was playing with Clapton but I wasn't even sure he was on stage until about 3/4s of the way thru the concert. From where I was sitting I couldn't see him, and they didn't show him on the video screens until a brief shot appeared after the midpoint of the concert. Clapton and Doyle did some acoustic songs about mid-way thru the show sitting down on stage together. They really seemed to enjoy themselves during the show. The entire band did - they seemed to have a great time playing together. Although, they only did a 1-song encore even though the audience was screaming for more.

My only other disappointment with the show was that I had a reserved seat up close to the stage but due to some communication issues, I didn't find out about it until the next day. So a great seat went empty and I didn't like where I ended up sitting. But I could hear just fine, so I guess all was well!

2 comments:

grace said...

aw, that is dissapointing your seat went empty. Where was the show, or can you say? It sounds really great, a private corporate show. wow. I think that artists like it when the crowd sings along to a classic of theirs. I love it when I am in the audience, it must be exilerating for the artist and band. I saw Jeff Beck within the last year or less, and after about 20 minutes, (I had bad seats, our friend said they were great, same thing, when I got there, :( ) anyway, great music, but I look and it is Pino, he is awesome, and again there was no mention. I dont think he gets the recognition he deserves. the artists appreciate him, but the artists need to show the audience that too. Pete has always.

Cathy with a C said...

Hi, Grace

The concert was part of a conference I go to every year - the SAP SAPPHIRE/ASUG Annual Conference. SAPPHIRE always has a concert as their entertainment one of the nights. This is my third SAPPHIRE conference as ASUG has joined with them for the last three conferences. The year before they merged, the SAPPHIRE concert performer was Bon Jovi. I know you would have liked to go to that!

The year before last was Sheryl Crow. Last year was John Mayer and this year was Eric Clapon.

This year, one of the keynote speakers was Tom Brokaw. He gave an awesome talk - about an hour long - tying in the historical events he's covered in his career and his research on his books, The Greatest Generation and Boom, to the events facing us today. It was quite an inspirational talk.

Cathy