Thursday, March 06, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jon Bon Jovi

Even though I wasn't feeling all that great, yet, I went to the Bon Jovi concert in Philadelphia last Sunday. It was a great show and Daughtry was the opening act. I hadn't done any research on the concert so was surprised who was opening. Also didn't realize until our drive down there, that it was Jon's birthday that day.




On the way to the concert, I felt really bad and was tempted to say turn around and take me home and then go on by yourself. But, once the music started, I forgot about how I felt and had a great time. I've liked Bon Jovi's music but don't have any of their albums and haven't been a major follower of their music. But I saw them perform at LiveEarth and thought they were great. So, when I saw their tour was going thru Philadelphia, I bought some tickets.
Our seats were actually behind the stage, but both Daughtry and Bon Jovi remembered we were back there and played to us for a great part of the show. I really liked how Jon mingled with his audience members. He constantly reached out to them from the stage and halfway thru the show, he disappeared from the stage during a song that Richie Sambora took the lead. He reappeared in the middle of the audience and sang two songs from the back of the Wachovia center, dancing with one lucky fan he picked from the audience. While surrounded by security, he made his way back to the stage, still shaking hands and hugging audience members.






Chris Daughtry also came up in the middle of the concert and sang a song with Jon. Of course, near the end of the concert, before the encore, the audience sang Happy Birthday to Jon - twice actually. The Philadelphia Soul team and cheerleaders came out on stage for the birthday song complete with a cake.

Afterwards, as I look at the band's website, I'm pleased to see that the set design was created by a company local to my area.




I took some pictures with my binoculars which have a digital camera inside them. Most of them did not turn out as they don't do too well with motion and no one on stage stayed still very long. Reading the comments on the band's website, I picked one of the better nights of the concert tour so far.
Here is a copy of the setlist. Unlike some other bands, they mix it up for different nights. This is what they played last Sunday night.

LOST HIGHWAY
BAD NAME
RAISE YOUR HANDS
RUNAWAY
BOUNCE
SLEEP w/ Dancin' In The Street & Jumpin' Jack Flash
BLOOD ON BLOOD
IN THESE ARMS
BLAZE OF GLORY (w/ Daughtry) w/ Knockin' On Heaven's Door intro
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
BORN TO BE MY BABY
WE GOT IT GOIN' ON
IT'S MY LIFE
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU - RICHIE VOX
(YOU WANT TO) MAKE A MEMORY
BED OF ROSES
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
HAVE A NICE DAY
FAITH
PRAYER
ENCORE:
OLDER
WANTED
I LOVE THIS TOWN

5 comments:

grace said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Who knew, I looooove Bon Jovi. I have tix for April, I am part of the fan club. Oh, what a treat to be backeast at their concert and Jons birthday. Oh man I am jealous. I have seen them a few times, what a show it must have been. And Daughtry I am looking forward to seeing.

I know you felt even better after the show, they are amazing. Jon moves around the crowd, last time I saw them, I did not have the best seats, but Jon opened up right infront of me, aaahhh! and then at the end, walked around the arena. He kissed one fan, my friend and I were just dieing!! I will post after my Bon Jovi Fest, I am hoping for super tix.

Fantastic Post Cathy!! Did you take any pics? Ooh , inspiration, maybe I'll post from my last Bon Jovi concert.

xoxo

Ahvarahn said...

yes, we have the same birthday, ole jon bon and me, only he's a couple of years older. you wouldn't guess it though, if we were standing side by side; nah, he looks much older than that.

thanks for your wishes

p

Anonymous said...

I HAVE BEEN A BON JOVI FAN SINCE BIRTH!!!!! i love all of their music right down to runaway and in and out of love... MY B-day is march 2 just like jon's (i only found that out like 2 years ago lol!!) i am a HUGE FAN and ALWAYS WILL BE !!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.