Saturday, January 26, 2008

Some Time in New Brunswick

Had to spend the week in New Brunswick attending a management training course. The class was good even though it was a lot of topics I've had training on before - you know, we all have different personality styles and we need to manage and interact accordingly and not negatively judge someone who has a different style than yourself. But the best part of these classes is that you get to meet other managers from sister companies all over the country and exchange stories and information. This class bonded very well and I hope to stay in touch with many of the people I met this week.








A highlight of the week was that Wednesday night we went out for dinner to Makeda, an Ethiopian restaurant. Colleen and I had planned to get together ourselves Wed, but instead she joined us as a group. We had a great time.


Most of us had never had Ethiopian food. Makeda is supposed to be one of the top ten restaurants in NJ. It was very good. Here is a URL to tell you more about it if you are interested in it. http://www.ardore.com/listing.asp?r=makeda12 I do have to caution you, however, that two people in our party, the same two people who shared a dish, were very sick on Thursday and while we were out drinking that night and didn't get back to the hotel until 1:30 am, we didn't attribute it to a hangover. However, it could have been the alcohol.


The atmosphere of the restaurant was very intimate, and while crowded for a Wednesday night, it was not too crowded to interfere with our conversations and enjoyment. After dinner, we went on what was advertised as a pub crawl. Unfortunately, there weren't too many pubs to choose from and we only went to two bars, one of them twice. One bar had a DJ and the other a band. I preferred the one with the band. Although we danced at the bar with the DJ and didn't dance much with the band. Part of that was the style of music as well as having the room to dance.

Interesting to see the South Carolina results come back tonight. Although it can be rather alarming to listen to the press babble about what all this means. They change their stories frequently, it seems, to make the story more dramatic. The other day, their story was that Hilary was going to lose SC and had in fact, basically abandoned that state to focus on the Feb 4 multi-state (20) primary. Today, it is the death of her campaign because she came in second place. And it is fascinating to see how they pick one snippet of a statement and frame the story one way, and then someone else will use the other part of that statement and frame a totally different argument. And, most people who are voting don't seem to pay much attention to their choice in terms of researching their position or candidate. That is, unless, you are in Iowa and had the chance to have coffee with the candidates or even have them in your home campaigning to others. Here in PA, it will be decided already by the time they get here in April. I'm still torn as to who I will vote for in the presidential election, but since I haven't changed my party, I'll have to vote Republican so I'll probably vote for McCain in the primary. My area is predominantly Republican so I stay a registered Republican so when I write to my representatives, I figure they'll pay more attention to my opinion. If I was a Democrat, I think they would just ignore me completely. I'd rather be an Independent since I never vote straight party but Pennsylvania does not allow Independents to vote in primary elections.

6 comments:

Gary said...

Isn't it crazy that we can't cross party lines to vote for whoever we want in a primary? A friend at work couldn't switch party registration 15 days ahead of the election and really wanted to vote Obama. Not sure who I'll vote for. There isn't one who has totally convinced me they have the right quals or personality to unit us.

Yeah, I watched a tape of when it went wrong and it was actually not that bad, they still clapped and cheered, yet, in my head I was convinced that the room fell silent. Funny how the mind skews things a certain way. I think I might have found an interesting little plug in for my guitar that can amp it a little better and has a second port fo a clip on mic, which might make it even better. We'll see. I do think I need to take a few weeks to finish up my latest recording, practice a few new songs then go back.

It's always nice to see a post from you on my blog Cathy. :-)

Rich Greiner said...

Hi Cathy, just dropping by to say Hi, I guess your back from your trip. My home DSL is out and this is the first day in a week that I was back in this office. Drop me a line on the reg email and I can catch you up with all my fun stuff!.Politics can drive me crazy and right now looking at these guys, as you are, I am also from the "old " Republican line that is embedded in this part of Pa.. While I think McCain might be a good man, I really am going to have to hear a lot more for me to be 100% in line, well enough politics! Have a good one-Rich

grace said...

It shall be a very interesting election, for sure !!

Chris Capp said...

Hey Cathy,

It's looking more and more like you folks in Pennsylvania might have the last word on this campaign -- at least on the Democratic side. My younger brother lives outside Philly and he was bemoaning the schedule a few weeks ago. I told him this week that he might be part of the final decision after all.

While I disagree with him on virtually everything -- particularly the war -- I do think McCain is a decent man. I can't say that about all of his competitors and, especially, about the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

I am happy to report that I voted [with enthusiasm, as it turns out] for Obama here in California. I am excited about turning the page in our history and starting fresh. I am excited about having a president close to my age. And I think he and his wife are two of the smartest people in American politics. I only hope he surrounds himself with the best and the brightest to make up for what he might lack in experience. And I think he will.

I was very moved by his line on Tuesday night: "We are the ones we have been waiting for." It is a call for us to be responsible for our own future, for all of us to pitch in. To ask not what our country can do for us, but for what we can do for our country, as another leader of generational change once put it. That moves me and gives me hope.

As for an earlier post of yours that I missed at the time, I think there's nothing more important that you could do than cook up all those eggs for folks who are hungry and in need of some compassionate company on a weekend morning. What a beautiful way to give your time, Cathy. I'm not surprised, of course, just impressed.

I hope life is good by you, and have a great weekend.

Cheers from L.A.,
Chris

Fleur de Bee said...

Oh an Ethiopian restaurant! Never been and sounds exotic! I am jalous you had a "playdate" with Colleen! Will be fun to see and hang out with you girls again soon! I plan on being back there shortly so maybe we can hit up that resturant! Mmmm!

xx

colleen m said...

That was a great night!!! We need to do it again :)