Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Wall of Fire

I am a fireworks fanatic. The week of July 4th is spent going from one fireworks display to another. We have good shows here.

When we got to the hotel in Niagara, I was excited to see a flier lying on the check-in counter advertising a half-hour long, Wall of Fire, a kilometer long, most spectacular fireworks display you will ever see. The show was supposed to start at 10:00 on Saturday.



Saturday, we went over to the Falls and walked around. Of course, we did the Journey Behind the Falls, and then picked up the Peoplemover to go to the Butterfly Conservatory. We got off unexpectedly to walk the trails down to the river. I hadn't done that before and it was a neat experience. Also discovered how badly out of shape I was - I would rather do this type of exercise than go to the gym, but of course, spending more time at the gym would have helped with some of those steep climbs.

After we were done exploring, we headed back towards the Falls area. We found an outside table at a restaurant overlooking the Falls. It was supposed to be a good spot to observe the fireworks and we thought we would get thrown out to make room for people with reservations. But we lingered over food, drinks, dessert, drinks, and more food until the fireworks started.

Crowds began to gather below, staking out their space on the lawn or the sidewalk. There was a band playing outside who sounded pretty good. Fathers were dancing with their young daughters. Children were jumping, running and laughing with each other. Moms were spreading out blankets and leftover ponchos as seats.

I have to confess though I was so disappointed with the fireworks show. The crowds that were below me were ooh'ing and ah'ing. Photographers and videographers on the balcony with me were trying to get every shot. It was not what I would call a wall of fire. I had expected something more like a constant finale for a kilometer down the street. Instead, it was a boom, pause, a boom, pause, boom, boom, pause, .... Yawn...

But all in all, it was a great day and spending dinner overlooking the Falls was a pretty good evening. As the sun was setting, you could see the rainbows over the Falls where the sunlight hit the mist.

6 comments:

grace said...

HI Cathy,

I was just talking with someone the other day, how beautiful Niagra Falls must be, sorry the fireworks where a blah. But was the falls beautiful?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thought...I should get a bunch of HOOLIGANS (ahahaha) together for my bash.

We're tentatively looking at Saturday, September 22 in Garden City, Long Island.

Sully

Fleur de Bee said...

WOW fantastic shots of the fireworks!!!

I am laughing pretty hard at THE THONG! ROFL!!!! What was she thinking? Too bad you were at the water park or a photo of that could go on the blog of shame! I should make a fashion album of shame! LOL (thinking here.....)

Dan L. said...

I appreciate your words concerning the health of my wife. Her situation is improving.

Again, thank you so very much.

--Dan L.

Ahvarahn said...

We are on the only hill in our boonies location, and through the bare trees of winter, I can see the Boston New Year's fireworks if I look out the window of the 'compooter' room. They are about half an inch wide from my house. I have been up close at times and they are impressive but as I have a vivid imagination and watch too many movies like Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter I now expect fiery planes and dragons. I'm hard to please.

Best
p.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.