Sunday, January 21, 2007

Play Ball!!

I went to my son's basketball game Saturday morning. Going to my children's sporting events is a regular event in our lives. They are both active in athletics and certainly more talented in that area than I am!

As I walked into the gym, several thoughts occurred to me. The people I saw around me are people I am very close to. I know very personal things about many of these other parents. I know who has lost their job recently and the stress that has placed on their family. I know the mother who is fighting depression, refusing to get help for it and trying to put on a happy face for her family. I know who is worried about a sick parent or a sick child. I know who I can call upon to help me - whether it is to watch my kids, to carpool with, to give me a hug or a kick in the butt.

The gym roared with parents cheering on both teams. The sound echoed throughout the gym. When two players collided and both fell to the ground, the gym was quiet as we waited to see if both would spring to their feet. We clapped for the player who had to walk off the court for a few minutes. Parents yelled encouragement to their children when they had either a good or a not so good play. Parents yelled (in a good manner) to the refs when a bad call was made. We have high school refs who may not be as experienced as we would like. But we have a good sportsmanlike attitude in our small town. We sign a pledge at the beginning of each season promising good behavior on the sidelines and our athletic association enforces that mutual agreement.

My son's team was down 18-8 in the first quarter. They had not won a game so far this season. They re-grouped and actually ended up winning this time, 24-20! It was a close game for the last five minutes. The parents of his team cheered and hugged each other. It was a good feeling, but as I think back on other games, even the losing ones, we have a pretty good thing going on in our small town. Football, baseball, soccer, or basketball - they bring our community together in a positive way. I look forward to attending many more games, even those 8:00 Saturday morning games!

2 comments:

Ahvarahn said...

These are indeed words of good fortune. I never got the opportunity (probably didn't try hard enough) to get more involved with the community where I live.

It's sounds very comforting to have that support, as you watch your young ones struggle and battle it out on the courts as a team supporting each other -a mirror of life's larger struggles.

Gary said...

This was a nice post Cathy. I like to watch our nieces and nephews play sports, especially my nephew, a talented baseball player. The won the championships a few years ago, and I remember going over to the LA Times printing facility to buy up extra copies.