Thursday, January 25, 2007

It's Snowing!!!!

We had snow squalls throughout the day outside of Philadelphia where I work. The car pool left on time - a rarity, since we have one habitual tardy rider and we made good time on the turnpike. Unfortunately, when I got to my car at the drop-off point, I could not find my keys. They had fallen out of my coat pocket when I got out of the car and they were lying just on the edge of the driver's seat in my locked car.
One of my carpool friends drove me halfway home and my daughter came to pick me up and take me back to pick up my car. I had ruined her plans for the evening so she was not happy about it, but she came to get me in a not so terrible mood.
On the way home from picking up my car, another snow squall hit. My daughter has only had her license for about 6 months so I was not pleased to see how fast she was driving in front of me on the now slick roads. She did slow down at first, but then was soon out of my sight.
The snow squall got worse and as I merged onto a three lane highway, no one could tell where the lines of the road were. We were all making our own lanes, but for the most part were driving very slow.
I made it home and drove to my neighbor's house to pick up my son. He was outside playing in the snow and did not want to leave. I could not leave the car because their driveway is rather steep - as soon as I would take my foot off the brake, my car started sliding backwards. We drove home to find my daughter pulling into the driveway. She was safe, but had learned her lesson about driving in the snow with 18-wheelers around her. She left the highway and took the back roads home.
Now I could enjoy the snow with my kids, safe at home. Biggest question on their minds now is "Do you think we'll have a two-hour delay tomorrow, Mom?"


3 comments:

colleen m said...

How much snow did you get? We only got about an inch ad it long ago melted. It is only 10 degrees though

Ahvarahn said...

And snow to compound your misfortune. I understand your concern watching your daughter driving. I taught our youngest how to drive, and I taught both of them how to drive a stick-shift. It's that hardest thing in the world to let tham go, find their own steps in the world, make mistakes and develop their own 'world sense'. It is especially hard when you do not want them to be learning lessons at the presence of 18-wheelers.

I'm glad she came to the rescue.

Cathy with a C said...

We're going to practice stick shift either today or tomorrow. She is too hard on herself when it comes to driving stick and doesn't relax enough.

But you are right, Paul. It was a high anxiety moment for me watching her fishtail slightly in front of me while she was driving 'too fast' on the snow-covered roads. I do let her make her own decisions and mistakes, but that was a tough moment me.

Cathy