Saturday, September 15, 2007

Injury TimeOut

Went to pick my son up from football practice Thursday night. As I got there, I saw a group of people huddled around someone laying on the ground at the far end of the field. One of my friends was running across the field with a colored afghan she must have grabbed from her car.

My son and other boys were running around the near part of the field so I was instantly relieved to see it wasn't him. Another father came up from the concession stand area calling for his son. I asked him who had been injured and he said I think it is Zach. Zach is the son of my friend who had been running across the field.

I walked across the field to find Zach lying on the ground with a coach (who is also a paramedic) also lying on the ground holding his helmet to keep his head and neck still. Zach's mother was sitting on the ground talking to her son. The ambulance soon arrived and drove across the field. Zach was moving his feet and hands so I felt sure he was going to be ok, but it was still very emotional to see him strapped onto a backboard with his head immoblized and then strapped onto the stretcher. Zach's mom drove in the ambulance to the hospital with her son and I arranged with her that she should call me when they were ready to be picked up. My ex-husband and another friend took her car home for her. She called me around 11 that night to say that they were done at the hospital and he only had a cervical strain.

This weekend, Zach is trying to take it easy. Not so easy for him considering Friday night, one of his friends had a sleepover party with 20 boys. He was there with my son for a few hours and then Zach went home rather than sleeping over. Today, Zach is here with my son and four other boys and they are trying to find things to do that Zach can also do.

My son asked me why Zach's mom was crying at the football field, even though she did her best to hide the tears from her son and the other people. She didn't cry in front of Zach but as she came back down the field to get in the ambulance, she was wiping her eyes. My son noticed that. Jason wanted to know why she was crying and when he hurt his knee, I was making jokes and I didn't cry. I said I didn't want to upset him and wanted him to feel ok - that if I cried in front of him or acted like it was serious, he would be more scared and anxious and it would hurt worse for him. May not have been the best explanation because he said he would know in the future and not believe me when I say that it is fine and not a big deal.

4 comments:

Gary said...

That's scary Cathy. Did you hear about the NFL player who was almost paralyzed last week? Apparently he's able to move his arms and legs.

I posted the Faces thing on Rachels blog and posted it over on IAC's Pipeline. I'm a little amazed that The Small Faces and The Faces are not yet in the HOF. I guess Rod Stewart made it in, and deservedly so.

I've been recording a new song, I'm in heaven.

colleen m said...

Wow that is way too scary.

Hey check out my wordless wednesday I think you will like it. lol

grace said...

Football is so scary, so easy to..well you know. I am glad that Zach is alright.

colleen m said...

Ack I totally forgot you tagged me!!! I better get to that. lol

Anyway I've been blogging and I do think you will lke today's wordless wed too. Not as much as last week though but you will like the pic I got in my side bar ;)

Wow talk about crappy grammar -- I am too lazy to edit though, lol

feel better!!!! xoxox